July 28, 2006

My mama, the BOI*

So, I'm off for 10 days for a tour of the Galveston area. We're spending the weekend at a "resort" in League City and then moving to my grandmother's in Hitchcock for the rest of the week. And T-Bone and I have tickets to see Tom Petty at the Woodlands amphitheatre next Saturday - think there will be any "ba-skeetos," as Olive calls them? Nah ...

I have a homework assignment for you while I'm gone, should you choose to accept it. The many times aforementioned GD high school reunion is coming up in a couple of weeks, and I'm making a compilation CD for my "crue." I've scanned the great hits of the 80s and all of our old favorites, but I'm still missing something. The idea was hatched because somehow I ended up with a tape we made at one of those "studios" at Six Flags on our senior trip featuring me and the girls singing, no, yelling, "Jose Cuervo" and, of course, "That's What Friends Are For." I'd like to say we were drunk when we made it, but, it was a school-sponsored trip, and because it rained the entire day, we were forced to be creative as we waited for the buses to come back and get us at 5. Hence, the "I Cut Tracks in Texas" studio was rocking that day. I believe I also sang backup for somebody on "Purple Rain." Anyway - I'm adding those two songs as a surprise ending, but I want some random stuff to add to the usual suspects.

So, give me a couple of your favorite tunes from 82-86. Please! I'll be your BBFF.

* BOI stands for "Born on the (Galveston) Island." Now my grandmother and two aunts live on ranch property 13 miles inland that's been in the family over 170 years. And, yes, that causes all the drama you would expect, so it's always fun to visit.

2 comments:

Sinda said...

LOL - we'll be on the Island Aug 4-7. I'll look for you!

EVRX said...

i will be in crystal (meth) beach from aug. 2-6, if you want to call, i'm in the book. AND i have so many ideas for your comp, but am not clear on the "theme." r u sticking to party songs or will a little new wave fit in?