July 13, 2006

The Final Leg

Two more pictures, and I'm back, I swear. Thanks for indulging me for the past week. I'm sure it was painful at times, but, I am LA TURISTA, ya know. Gotta represent now and again.

My favorite picture from Paris:

Having never been there before, I didn't realize how friggin' HUGE the Eiffel Tower actually is. Those little specs are peeps, yo. We went back late at night, and man, do the freaks come out. Judging by some of the things we saw, I'm pretty sure there's some kind of Mile High Club for the Eiffel Tower. Eww.

We only spent two days in the City of Light, one of which we spent at Disneyland Paris - or EuroDisney, as it used to be called. Yes, I'm just that much of a dork. This was our last stop before we took the Chunnel Train to London to spend one night and catch our flight home. We figured Paris and London were places we might actually get back to someday, but Lisbon? Not so much. So I'm pretty proud of our travel planning on-the-fly and the time we got to spend in all of these great places. We got home broke, exhausted, and dirty - just in time for my 10 year high school reunion the next night. Flash forward a decade ... see where I'm going with this? And here we are on the eve of my GD 20 year reunion. Gawd! More on that later ...

My final favorite picture from The Trip of a Lifetime. I call it, "Sleepy Man Putting on Shoes By Sink":

I think this captures just how SMALL our "room" in Vienna was. I really think it was a closet that they put a window and a sink in, but it served its purpose - cheap and convenient lodging. It was as wide as you see here and the length of two twin beds end-to-end. Somehow, they crammed a ceramic heater and a big ass armoire in there, too. The building looked like it hadn't had any work since The Big One, and the proprietors were a really weird dude and his equally weird mother. Every time someone went in or out of the building, they cracked the door to their apartment and then slammed it the moment they were spotted. Needless to say, I slept with one eye open and my passport in my underwear.

No comments: