July 19, 2006

Your Girl for All Seasons

I've spoken before of Peach's artistic talents, and one area of great interest to her is fashion design. She's six. Anyway, for Christmas, she got a design kit with a bajillion templates to create forty bajillion outfits. And this ain't no Fashion Plates, yo. She has to trace each piece separately - choosing a hairstyle, upper body, lower body, and shoes, THEN adding accessories, texture, and fabric patterns, and THEN coloring the whole thing. And she doesn't half-ass it at all. She works for hours. Each look is complete and ready for the runway. The kit is supposed to be for "9 years old and up," but I can't believe many older kids would have better skills or more patience than my little genius, er, fashion maven.

All this to say, Peach has discovered Project Runway. I was a Janie-come-lately to the show and only started watching halfway through last season. I thought Peach might go for it, but I was a bit concerned about all the bleeping and the bitching. And then the new season started last week, and I let her watch a tape of the first episode. So now we're both hooked - her early favorite is the guy who designs for Barbie (natch). I'll be "previewing" the show for her tonight, and we'll watch and discuss tomorrow.

For now, I'll leave you with some of her freehand work: "The Four Seasons."




1 comment:

Karla May said...

Very practical and snazzy fashions, all. I mean, I would TOTALLY wear that ice skating outfit all winter long if I could.

I love the way she draws hands.