September 21, 2006

In Praise of Groovy Granola Montessori School

Pardon me while I gush. T-Bone and I went to Parents' Night last night at GGMS, and if it's possible to be in love with a dead old lady I've never met, then I am. And so is everybody in any way affiliated with GGMS. The director and the teachers are so full of the love, they CRY every time they talk about it. So then I cry, natch. The kids are so full of the love, they RUN to the classrooms every day and ASK to do more work during their free time. And Peach is so full of the love her own little self, she is doing 3rd and 4th grade work, even though this is only the 3rd week of 1st grade. It works, y'all.

Every time I've been to a meeting at GGMS, I have been so impressed and inspired by the staff. Everything they say about Montessori education speaks right to me. Plus they are all so damn SMART. And committed. They don't turn it off when the kids leave each day. This is a way of life, yo, and I am such the believer that I have been hanging on by my fingernails for the past four years just trying to get Peach into this amazing place. And now she's there, and she's happy and thriving, and T-Bone and I are walking around with shit-eating grins on our faces, so proud of Peach we could explode.

So, thank you, Jeebus, thank you, universe, and thank you, Maria. Our girl is really on her way.

3 comments:

Sinda said...

I ran into a woman last night (I got to see Ayun Halliday read! And then we had a beer with her!) who used to work at our campus, has had a child, and now works at the campus up north. We were discussing how Montessori had changed our lives, and both admitted that while sometimes it may seem like a cult, we don't care, because it WORKS so well.

I'm so glad Peach is thriving there - and that your persistence paid off.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to get Jojo into Montessori for damn sure. They seem to focus on the RIGHT things. YAY for Peach!!!

Me said...

Hey LT,

Montessori schools ROCK! I had my daughter in one for six months in Germany (would've kept her in longer, but I decided divorcing her dad was a better option).

And, I went to a Montessori school in Austin, back in the '70s. A Bar Z. I have lots of fond memories. A very cool place.

Thanks for stopping by my blog again the other day, and for the good wishes for my lady bits.