August 7, 2006

Thunder Only Happens When it's Raining

And it seems as though we got a tiny bit of rain up in here while I was gone. We left Galveston County yesterday under a hail of raindrops and thunder claps, only to meet up with the sun again somewhere around Katy. My grass is so hating me right now.

Anywho - what a week we had! The resort we stayed in last weekend was nice, great pool, all that, but they were hosting one too many family reunions for my taste. We were startled awake several times on Saturday night when the yahoos in the room next door came in and out, on and off some boat they chartered, to and from some late night pancake breakfast, etc.. Peach and Olive thankfully slept through it all and were jumping out of their skin when we ordered room service for breakfast the next morning. Olive ate until I thought she might burst.

The week at my grandmother's was just like the good ol' days - sleeping late (almost 8 am!), eating way too much, and laughing my arse off with (and directly at) my nutty family. Thursday, we took the chittlins to the beach, and I thought I'd never get Olive out of the sand. This was her first time, and although she has pretty big aversions to dirt and dust, she LOVES to dig, and she insisted on being buried up to her waist. Twice. Friday, we rounded everybody up again and hit the new waterpark in Galveston. Another glorious day with the general public, after which I felt quite slim yet nearly naked in my ink-free skin.

Saturday night was the big Tom Petty show, and the boys, they rocked the house. Too bad we were all SOAKED in sweat, just from standing still, thanks to the lovely Houston humidity. Balmy doesn't even come close to describing the hell we were locked in for three hours. It took the Heartbreakers all of one song to peel off the jackets they foolishly donned for the show, and Tom sweated through two shirts AND a vest before it was all over with. It was that damn hot. And still. Where the hell was that coastal breeze? Liars.
Once again, T-Bone came through with third row center seats. I tell you, the man spoils me. The show was like a retrospective of hits from every stage of the band's now 30 year history. But then again, what Tom Petty song is NOT a hit? They threw in a couple of covers and a couple of songs off of the new album, but the highlight of the evening was when the special guest came out. Yep, Bella Donna herself, Stevie Nicks came whirling and twirling out, in full witchy woman regalia, and she looked great. She's got one of those baby doll faces, like Jules, so no matter if she's 8 or 80, she's always going to have that sweet face. She sang a couple of duets with Tom and later sang back up on a few more - with three costume changes. I had the perfect vantage point for pictures, but I refuse to join the new culture of assholes who pull out their phones at concerts to get really bad pictures or to herald an encore. So. damn. stupid. When looking for other people's really bad pictures to post, I found this. And this. Enjoy.

2 comments:

Karla said...

I heart Tom Petty.

Karla May said...

Tom Petty is one of those guys I would love to smoke a doob with. Bit time.

I once went to see a show at the Woodlands. In July. A few days after a big flood in Houston. The mosquitoes were as big as ferrets.

Sounds like ya'll had a helluva time. Good for ya'll!