December 18, 2008

Yes, Peach. There is a Santa Claus.

So my Peachy Pie, I’m pretty sure, is having quite the crisis of conscience over this whole Santa Claus thing. Although she would never say so and would never EVER blow it for anybody else, especially Olive. That would just break her heart, I can assure you.

I think she might have heard some rumblings about it last year and maybe some full-fledged confirmations this year, but I haven’t broached the topic other than to ask about making a Christmas list. Usually, she wants to discuss the many choices she’s seen in stores or catalogs and lets me "help" her narrow it down to four or five things. This year, she’s either said, "No thanks. I’m fine." - with a noticeable quiver in her voice - or "I want to give Santa a holiday this year." - again, with the quiver. However, when pressed, I have gotten her to jot some things down and have found a couple of discarded lists, one of which asked Santa for "a chance to see you" or "anything you wish." So precious.

I’m treading very softly here because what if I decide to have The Talk with her, and she’s not even close to being a non-believer, and I ruin her childhood and drive her into early therapy? I’m trying to read her as best I can, but as it’s gotten closer, she seems to be either humoring me by getting on board the Santa Express or she genuinely still believes. I can’t tell.

That said, she has made her final selections and typed her list and Olive’s list on the computer, with lots of fonts and colors and the usual embellishments. Ever the budding designer, in the top two slots, she wants some Project Runway sketch books. Next up, a bed for her knock-off American Girl doll, and a Scuba Barbie. Also, the Kit Kittredge DVD, and finally, "a boy Barbie for my house." Hmmm …

Anybody shopped for a boy Barbie lately? I mean NOT of the HSM3 variety? Because the pickins’ is slim, my friends. The choices are pretty much: The Gay Ken; The Gayer Ken; and Queen Ken.

Now, if she wants a boy Barbie "for her house," as in to look at fabric swatches and rearrange furniture, I think we’re good. But if she wants him to propose to Barbie and raise babies together, we may have a problem.

Olive’s list? Par for the course:
Big stuffed horse for my bed
Tack for my horses
Horse Sense game
New Cowgirl Nanny doll – no stinky (blond) hair, only brown
Scuba Barbie – no stinky (blond) hair, only brown OR red
Horse Shrinky Dinks

All of which I have to get THIS weekend, because other than a few stocking stuffers and a couple of things I ordered online, I have NOTHING. Stupid work interfering with my shopping.

2 comments:

Badger said...

Dude! My girl child was Santa's biggest fan for YEARS before she finally asked us for the truth. We broke it to her as gently as we could, but for years AFTER that talk, she acted as if it had never happened. It was only this year, when she turned ELEVEN, that I found out she was pretty much over Santa. I have no idea how long she was humoring us and how long she believed, but she and the boy seem totally okay with the fact that we did the Santa thing for years even though it turned out to be a big lie.

Or maybe they are just humoring me SOME MORE.

Anonymous said...

I have a dear, dear friend whose darling, intelligent girl still believes. And she's turning twelve in a few days. My friend is afraid she is going to start her period on Santa's lap. But what are you to do?