April 20, 2008

Hardy Stock

I come from a line of incredibly strong, and loud, women. Mama Turista is absolutely the hardest working person I know (actually, that pretty much ANYONE knows), and her mother, who is throwing herself a ginormous 90th birthday shindig next weekend, has never shied away from the tough stuff either. My two aunts have put in more than their share of sweat equity on any number of projects, and my cousin, holy hell, could probably lift a burning car if push came to shove, but as a dentist, she couldn't be more gentle as she yanks a tooth out of your head. The matriarch of this proud lineage was actually less than pleasant to be around, but she did pay the taxes with her own inheritance to save the family ranch during the Depression and kept it going after her husband died, which she was all to happy to remind anyone who would listen every day of her more than 100 years on this planet. We actually aren't exactly sure how old she was when she passed because, incredibly vain as she was, she burned her birth certificate and all record of her age when her hairdresser suggested she quit dying her hair at age 80+ and let the silver shine through. She actually burned rubber as she pulled her Caddy out of the parking lot that day, and I believe her choice words left Mr. Juan in a pool of tears. All this to say, I think she lived so long just to spite us.

On the other side of the genetic coin, my dad's mother just celebrated her 96th birthday this week, and other than her "parts wearing out" (her words), she is still as brilliant and beautiful as ever. This is a woman who was married for nine years and had no children, and then had five children in four years (including twins and one more born within 11 months of each other) (Did I mention my whole family is Catholic?). And a year later? Her husband died. Yeah. She went straight to work and unintentionally became a modern woman, raising and providing for her family on her own. Obviously, it wasn't easy, but everybody made it through, and today, my dad and his siblings have great relationships with each other and have worked like a well-oiled machine in caring for my grandmother these past few years.

These gals are strong of mind, body, and spirit, and their intense love for their families is undeniably the driving force that pushes them to do the incredible things they do. So as I sit here tonight, icing my shoulder and reflecting on all the work Mama Turista and I did together this weekend, I am so thankful for all the truly amazing women in my life and in my blood, and when I catch glimpses of their strength in Peach and Olive, I know that they come by it honestly.

No comments: