June 30, 2006

Star Struck in the Seventies

In continuing with my Summer Stroll Down Memory Lane, I pulled out a few gems I've been keeping in my treasure chest since I was about 9. The TV guide in our newspaper used to have a section where they would post Addresses of The Stars, and I would wait with baited breath each week to see if any of my favorite Sweathogs or Love Boat Guest Stars were listed. I composed very serious letters that I would kill to have copies of now, telling each star how old I was, how much I loved their show or music, my favorite color, my favorite food - you know, the usual. Then I would race to the mailbox everyday, praying that SOMEbody, ANYbody, responded with a letter and/or picture. Here are the results of my earnest endeavor:

Please, Mister, Please. Don't blame me, 9 years old. I thought she had the voice of an angel. My dad had her country albums, and I used to sing every word. Of course, I loved her in "Grease" and wore out that soundtrack album, too. She later lost me with "Let's Get Physical." And what's up with her disappearing boyfriend?

I watched this show religiously, read the books, played "Little House" with my friends who lived out in the country, etc.. I always got to be Half Pint because I had the braids and the huge ass teeth. I thought I really scored with this picture because the whole cast signed it. I didn't realize until years later that the signatures were actually printed on there. Boo.

Another of my favorite shows, although Kris was not my favorite Angel. When I pulled all of these pictures out, I was dismayed to learn that my kick ass picture of Jaclyn Smith and her dog had disappeared. Damn. SHE was my fave. The envelope this picture came in says "RUSH! Cheryl Ladd photo enclosed!"

Recognize this handsome devil? Yes - it's David from "Eight is Enough." See, I didn't go for the obvious crushes - I liked Grant Goodeve over Willie Ames, Parker Stevenson over Shaun Cassidy, Richie over the Fonz AND Chachi. And I couldn't stand Leif Garrett. Something about his overt sensuality probably frightened me at the time (I was terrified of that Rod Stewart video for "Tonight's the Night"), but I always thought the guy had Loser written all over him. Who's crying now, hmmm?

This was a bonus score because I got it as a surprise gift from my junior high principal. He made gold nugget jewelry on the side, and after he sold some particularly heinous pieces to Mr. Schneider and company, he asked for autographed pictures for his favorite students, me and my best friend (Holla, M!). I can assure you we were the talk of the school the day we were called down to the office and came back to class with these babies.

And finally, my personal favorite:

I mean, what 9 year old girl WOULDN'T want an autographed picture of Rich Little, the Man of a Thousand Voices? Especially with the salt and pepper hair, the gold nugget necklace, and the shirt unbuttoned down-to-there? I thought he was HI-larious, and I would entertain myself (and anyone who would listen) with my impersonations of his impersonations of Nixon and Paul Lynde.

Now behold the 21st century version of my star struck letters. Peach came home from school with this one day, totally out of the blue. Please note the coordinating outfits, the spotlights, and "We See Your Love." On the back, she wrote, "Your fan, Peach."

3 comments:

Sinda said...

I love the rainbow hair! Nice picture, Peach!

Karla May said...

I seem to recall these photos making an appearance in our decor at some point when we were living together, yes? Was it in the freaky laundry room? Do we have any photos of that? Because, that was like the best room ever.

My one paltry Liza Minelli autographed photo PALES in comparison to your collection. But it ranks up there in the "totally weird" category for an 11 year old to be even wanting a photo of Liza. Unless that 11 year old is a soon-to-be-gay pre-teen boy. Then it would totally make sense.

Bookhart said...

I am in total awe of two things: 1) your dedication to the collection of autographs; and 2) your ability to hold onto them for so long. I got a few autographs in the 70s on a visit to Hollywood but they are long gone. Excellent post.