May 29, 2006

What I Did on My Summer Vacation(s)

Summertime always puts me in a reflective mood, maybe because I add another candle to the cake in July, and I find myself thinking of summers past. For the last 20 years, it seems I spent a good number of summers doing one of my favorite activities - MOVING. How did I manage to time the majority of my many moves during the months of June and August? In Texas? Between the sweating and my knack for bruising, I would have made out better if someone had just backed the moving truck over me a couple of times.

The College Years break down like this:

August 86 - May 87 - Dorm
Summer 87 - Home
August 87 - May 88 - 1st Apartment
Summer 88 - Camp
August 88 - May 89 - 2nd Apartment
1st Half Summer 89 - Camp
2nd Half Summer 89 - 3rd Apartment
August 89 - May 90 - Sorority House (yes, you read that right)
Summer 90 - 4th Apartment
August 90 - May 91 - 5th Apartment
June 91 - August 94 - 6th Apartment with the lovely Karla May

For those of you keeping score, that's 8 different Austin addresses in as many years, and I lived at one of those addresses for 3 years. That's a shitload of boxes and packing tape. I can hear that damn tape in my sleep!

In August 94, I moved home for law school, met T-Bone, and in June 97, we moved him into the Best Apartment Ever, where I joined him after the nuptials that December. We were there a year, then moved back to Austin in January 98, where we lived in a duplex about a year and a half before moving into the townhouse we built in May 2000. We were there about four and a half years, after which we moved into an apartment in December 2004, where we camped out for about four months while our house was being built. We moved in here in April 2005, not quite summer, but still damn hot. And the day any boxes get moved from here, I'm going to be in one.

I'm so happy to sit on the couch and sip cool drinks this summer while all those poor bastards are hauling their crap around in stinky trucks in the mind-melting sun. Sucks to be them. However, there is the matter of my 20th high school reunion in August, so I'm sure that little event will leave me sufficiently sweaty and bruised.

1 comment:

Karla May said...

Member when it only took a 12-pack of beer and a couple of willing long hairs to get your shit moved? Them was the days...

You know, it's funny. But I saw LOTS of moving trucks this weekend, and I kept thinking, "Damn, that sucks. That's usually me." The only time I've ever moved when I WASN'T sweating my ass off was when I moved from Chicago to Austin in Rocktober, 1999. Other than that, ever moving occasion has kicked my sweat glands' asses while leaving me bruised and sore beyond belief. And yes, that includes this past November when I last moved--it was "unseasonably warm," and I sweated my arse off the whole time...THE WEEKEND AFTER THANKSGIVING for Pete's sake.

Whatever. Moving fucking sucks diseased donkey.