February 21, 2009

Twofer

One of the biggest changes in my life since having children, besides the obvious, is I don't get to go to the movies as much as I used to. I've always been a movie buff, and in law school, T-Bone and I skipped many a class or study session to catch the latest and greatest flicks playing down the street. Sometimes we saw two in one day! At two different places! That's love, my friends. And probably explains why I didn't graduate anywhere near the top of my class. Ahem.

As you know, tomorrow is The Greatest Night in Television Ever, and in my pre-maternity days, I would have seen all the Best Picture nominees, as well as most of the acting performances. Never been big on the shorts and documentaries, mostly because, until fairly recently, they weren't showing anywhere outside of film festivals and/or LA and NYC.

That said, yesterday I found myself with some free time and a hankering to see a good show, so I headed for the art house right after work. My choices were limited by start times and whether or not I thought T-Bone would be interested, and because I loves me some Meryl, I went with Doubt.

Can I say how much I loved this movie? THAT much, y'all. You can tell it was based on a play and written for the screen by the playwright himself because it's wordy, very play-y. And even though there's not a lot of "action," I was literally leaning into the screen, completely immersed in the story. It was brilliant. My Meryl was brilliant. And - Holy Mother of Mercy - Viola Davis was BRILLIANT. I wasn't familiar with her work before, but I'm a huge fan now. She just broke my heart.

As it happened, I used my frequent flyer card when I bought my ticket, and I guess I hit the right number of points or credits or whatever because a FREE ticket popped out with my receipt. When was the last time you got a FREE movie ticket? For me - never. I took it as a sign. So guess what I did today?

Slumdog Millionaire. Best Picture, indeed. And that Dev Patel is quite the little dancer. Maybe he and Viola can come over for dinner together. But NOT tomorrow night. I need to concentrate.

No comments: