March 2, 2009

It's Gettin' HOT in Hee-yah

After being felled by a particularly nasty migraine on Tuesday, I was up most of Wednesday night with a restless, feverish Peach. Somehow, she awoke fresh as a daisy on Thursday, but about two hours later, I got The Call from school – Peach is clammy, shivering, and clearly "not herself." So I hot-footed it over to GGMS to pick her up, and she spent the rest of the day in bed.

Like Florence Nightingale herself, Mama Turista swooped in that evening to sit with Peach Friday and on through the weekend, as we had planned to go to Small Town, Texas to visit T-Bone’s folks. But just as we were packing up Friday afternoon, Peach rallied and decided she really wanted to go with. So I threw in some more clothes and we were off.

By the time we arrived Friday night, Peach was, literally, a Hot Mess. Her fever was back up, she was sneezing and wheezing, and she had a near-constant hacking cough. I was up all night, tending and consoling, and somewhere around 3 am, the fevah finally broke, and she drifted off into a sweaty slumber. She took it easy the rest of the weekend, and besides the much less constant hacking cough, she seems to be on the mend.

I, however, am a little hot under the collar, with nerves all a-jangling, because when we got home yesterday afternoon, our neighbor informed us that our smoke alarms had been going off earlier and he heard them when he was out walking his dog, so he called the fire department and they came and banged on the door and looked in all the windows, and because they didn’t see any smoke or anything, they left.

Ummm, the what now?

I absolutely could not fall asleep last night, what with all the wondering and conjecturing, and I have come to this conclusion: If, in fact, our house is not haunted, though I have long suspected it IS, I am convinced there is someone living in our attic and they set the smoke alarms off whilst cooking some food (scavenged from our pantry) on a hotplate behind the ductwork. I’m going up there when I get home today. I’ll let you know what (or WHO) I find.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you don't post soon, I'll have to assume you've been 'napped by the cooking hobo living in your attic and call the authorities.