February 11, 2009

Heavy Lifting

Today I really had to earn my keep at The Job by going toe-to-toe with a blowhard from East Texas. You know the day's going straight to hell when you're met first thing with a voicemail that says things like, "I just can't imagine how you can find grounds for appeal on this." and "I don't want to have to file for sanctions against you." and, my favorite, "I mean, I'm not threatening you or anything ... but ..." Yes, you are, you asshole. Yes, you are.

When I got him on the phone, it started out pretty calm, and then he lit into me. I could actually feel him puffing up more and more as he ranted. I stuck to my guns and tried to explain my position (which is, basically, following the GD law, by the way), and he just continued to spit and sputter until he finally said, "Why do you even CARE?" You have no idea how much I don't care, dude, but if you're just going to berate and insult me, all bets are off. Especially when you're obviously out of your element on this one - which was clear when you mentioned "sanctions" three more times to try and scare me, and I asked you how that would even be possible when 30 years of statutes and several Supreme Court decisions (which I named) say I WIN, YOU LOSE, and you said, "Well, I really didn't want to get into a LEGAL thing right now." WTeverlovinF are you saying? Aren't "legal things" what you DO?

Overall, I made my points, repeatedly, and only yelled a little bit. By the end of it, when he could see I wasn't budging, and I could see he was finally out of gas, he said, "Well, you've got my number." And hung up on me. Because nothing says confidence in your case more than hanging up on the other side. Perfect.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think we should amend his degree to JDbag. Way to not back down to the bully!

Karla May said...

What part of East Texas was this blowhard calling from?

And, no shit, my word verification is: braingoo