March 23, 2008

Time's Up*

Since no one guessed these movies, I suggest y'all get out and rent some of these mofos - you don't know what you're missing!

1. Used Cars - Come on! Kurt Russell and Jack Warden? I love this tagline: Estimated Laugh Count: 287 City, 410 Highway. Use these numbers only for comparison. Your actual laughs may vary depending on how you feel about used car salesmen, nude women, spectacular car stunts, and the President of the United States. (But really, you have to see this.)

2. Glitter - Yes, I saw it. At the movies. And it wasn't a matinee. Just one in a long line of awesomely bad flicks that Karla May and I have seen, on purpose, either at home or on the big screen. Or both. I think Malcontent Mama was with us on this one - or was it Bring It On?

4. A League of Their Own - This was Madonna's line, and in a future post, I'll tell y'all the story of my great aunt, who played in the AAGPBL, and was in this movie, and was a big hit with Her Madgesty, who then insisted that the two take a picture together:


5. Field of Dreams - People! This was Burt Lancaster, talking about his short-lived baseball dream. Omigod, I have seen this movie, or at least parts of it, about 10,ooo times, and I weep - WEEP, I tell you - every friggin' time. And I don't even like baseball. Or Kevin Costner.

6. U2: Rattle and Hum - This was that sexy devil, Adam Clayton, in one of the only concert movies I'll watch. It came out at the height of my obsession with Bono, and I knew I'd love him forever after they showed their trip to Memphis. Which brings me to ...

7. Change of Habit - The King's last movie, in which he plays a doctor trying to clean up the streets with the help of three undercover nuns-to-be, one of whom is Mary Tyler Moore. Seriously. It's a "drama." With only three songs. And Ed Asner. I had never seen this particular E vehicle until I met T-Bone, who has his own personal copy. Yet another reason I love the guy.

8. Slacker - Way back before the big Tech Boom, and the even bigger Tech Bust, and before every hipster wannabe asshole in California decided it would be "cool" and "cheap" to live in Austin, this sleepy little town was just like this movie portrays it to be. I knew people in the movie, and I knew people just like people in the movie. I even went to "the premiere" at Dobie, for those of y'all that that means something to. I like to revisit this little piece of history now and again, but every time I do, I see yet another place that is now literally gone, obliterated, and erased so some dickhead developer can build more hideous high-rise condos and lofts that no one can afford and only serve to muck up my skyline. Great flick, though.

So that's it. I thought most of these were so obvious, but I see now that I have spent far too many hours, planted on the couch, sobbing into my popcorn bowl as Sally Field gives that GD speech after Julia Roberts' funeral AGAIN.

P.S. The title of the last post came from No Country For Old Men - it was one of my BIL's lines, remember?! And #11, which T-Bone posted in the comments, was from Diner. Yeah, I didn't get it either.

Easter post to follow ...

* This just in - as I was writing this post, it seems that Karla May finally got her ass around to really reading the last post, so I have to give her belated props for correctly guessing 2, 5, and 8. You may also keep the BBFF anklet I gave you for your bday one time.

2 comments:

Badger said...

USED CARS! That's the one that was making me crazy. I knew I knew that one.

I eventually guessed Slacker, too. I also know people who were in it! Maybe it's the same people! That would surprise me not at all.

Sarah said...

You saw Glitter?! I'm creepily impressed.