March 19, 2008

Are You Going To Shoot Me?* (Now With Hints!)

For lifting this movie meme from one of the many people who posted it much sooner and much better than me? But I love it so. And I'm the one fishing for some comments from the peanut gallery, assuming there is a peanut gallery out there ... anyone? Whatever, I enjoyed putting it together.

For those of you who haven't been playing along at home, here are memorable lines from some of my favorite movies, and your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to make guesses in the comments, and then I give you all kinds of props and whatnot when you're right. Sounds so awesome, right? Let's go!

  1. We had nuns - nuns - protesting in front of the dealership this morning ... I had to get Jim to turn the fire hose on them. (1980 - comedy gold, pre-Goldie)
  2. Do you really think inside your mind that because you swing your ass around on stage and you hit a couple of high notes here and there, that you are some colossal success? (2001 - People Magazine's one word review: "Litter.")
  3. Show Dick some respect! (1985 - Saturday morning at Shermer High) Fersure, fersure Badger, it's The Breakfast Club. Omigod, how much do I love this movie. My friends and I could quote just about every line in the damn thing, but we used this one in particular quite a bit because our drama teacher was named Richard, and we always called him Dick. But in a good way.
  4. And what am I supposed to do, huh? Go back to taxi dancin'? Ten cents so some slob can sweat gin all over me? I'm never doin' that again! So you go back there! And you tell "Mr. Rich Old Chocolate Man" that he ain't closing ME down! (1992 - "Dirt in the skirt")
  5. You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day. (1989 - Heaven in the Heartland)
  6. There are some people who say you shouldn't mix politics and music, sports and politics. Well ... I think that's kinda bullshit! (1988 - lads on the road)
  7. You don’t feel much on The Stuff. (1969 - three sisters and a king)
  8. I've had a total recalibration of my mind, you know. I mean, it's like, I've been banging my head against this 19th century type, um, what? Thought mode? Construct? Human construct? Well, the wall doesn't exist. It's not there, you know. I mean, they tell you, look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Well, there is no tunnel. There's just no structure. The underlying order is chaos. (1991 - the good old days in the ATX)
  9. Sorry folks, park's closed. Moose out front shoulda told ya. Word, Karla May, it's National Lampoon's Vacation. John Candy cracked me up so much that I actually have a picture I took of the TV screen when he's delivering this line. That is how gay I am.
  10. I believe virtually everything I read, and I think that is what makes me more of a selective human than someone who doesn't believe anything. Ah yes, wise Bookhart, these are the immortal words of David St. Hubbins in This Is Spinal Tap, probably one of the most oft-quoted movies of all time. It's such a fine line between stupid and clever ...
* Bonus points, and possibly alcohol, for the cinematic genius, and very dedicated reader of this blog (hint), who correctly guesses which movie this line came from. (2007 - brotherly love)

9 comments:

La Turista said...

11. "Every one of my records means something! The label, the producer, the year it was made. Who was copying whose style... who's expanding on that, don't you understand? When I listen to my records they take me back to certain points in my life, OK? Just don't touch my records, ever!"

hotpinksox said...

The only one I think I know is #11: High Fidelity?

La Turista said...

Actually, T-Bone posted #11, and I thought it was High Fidelity, too. But, no ... think older.

Karla May said...

#11 Singles.

And the "Sorry folks, Park's closed." is Vacation.

But damned if I know any of the other ones...

Bookhart said...

No 10. The Tap. Which means that this meme goes to 11.

Badger said...

#3 = Breakfast Club. And #1 is driving me nuts, because I KNOW IT, but I can't think of it.

Bookhart said...

God I am SO CLOSE to figuring out #1--I can actually picture the scene in my head but I can't place it. GAH!

With the extra clues, I recognize 2,3, and 8.

Karla May said...

#5, Field of Dreams.

Karla May said...

2. "Glitter." Which I saw with you.
8. "Slacker" Which I've seen many times with you.