May 12, 2006

You Have No Idea Who You're Dealing With

Today I had an appointment at GGMS to fill out the paperwork to formally enroll Peach for next year. Yep, they called on Wednesday, and we got "in" (WooHoo!), but I decided not to tell Peach yet. The plan was to go today, do the paperwork, and then get her a school t-shirt and surprise her with it when I picked her up this afternoon. Yes, I make a big damn deal out of everything.

I showed up a few minutes early, and the office was deserted. I didn't know where else to go, so I stood around for about 10 minutes, and no one ever came. I started wandering around the school, looking for someone, anyone, to herald my long-awaited arrival, and one of the guides pointed me in the direction of another office. Ok, thanks. Now it's 15 minutes after my alleged appointment, and that office is deserted, too. Perfect. I almost started laughing. I came out of the second empty office, and another guide asked if needed any help. I explained, and she said, "She should be here. I'm sure she'll be back shortly. Please enjoy our aviary while you wait." Look - you can distract me all you want, but I ain't leaving here until you take my money and put my kid's name on a class roster. I'll move in to the damn aviary if I have to - just give me the golden ticket!

I sat down to wait some more, and the director came up - again to ask if I needed any help. Well, they sure are polite. I explained, she checked the appointment book, and oh yes, there's my name, and the woman I was meeting must have forgotten and went to lunch. Now it's 30 minutes after my alleged appointment, and I have to go pick up Peach. We decided the phantom woman would call me to reschedule for next week. So, no paperwork, no t-shirt, no surprise. Damn.

I had a couple of errands to run, so after I picked up Peach, we got Sonic slushes and pushed on. I kept checking my messages at home, thinking that if the phantom woman didn't call me within the hour, she better be in the hospital or jail. She, in fact, did call an hour after the alleged appointment, apologizing profusely, and telling me when she was available next week. Oh yeah - watch this. I called her back and told her I could come back right now. BOOYEAH!

I told Peach we had one more errand to run - where? - to sign you up for GGMS! With a big grin she said, "They said I could come there?" Yes, my angel, they did. We skidded into the parking lot 10 minutes later and beat it to the second office before the phantom woman had time to disappear again. No money exchanged hands because I need to get T-Bone's signature on a few things, so I'm going BACK on Monday to turn everything in at once.

It's been such a long journey, but I know it will be worth it in the end. As long as they don't close up shop and turn back into a meat-packing plant over the weekend (insert "Twilight Zone" theme here).

1 comment:

Sinda said...

Hurray! It's got to feel good to be at this point after waiting and looking around fo so long - congratulations!