May 21, 2006

Stairway(s) to Hell

Friday marked the official beginning of summer at Casa de Bone, and I celebrated by breaking my toe after slipping on the stairs. Hooray! Just as we were leaving for a full day of fun at Fiesta Texas. I broke the pinky toe last year, and it has never been the same, but this time it was the fourth toe, which immediately turned black. I hobbled to the car and limped my way through FT for seven hours, only to get back in the car to drive two hours to a cabin on the Frio River my in-laws rented for the weekend. Everyone else was already there when we arrived (9 folks, 1 bathroom, mind you), and we were told we "got" the king-size bed. Upstairs. In the loft. For which there was a 15-step LADDER going straight up that I had to haul my fat ass and throbbing foot up and down all weekend. Oh, and did I mention I that I was so totally nauseated from the broken toe, the amusement park smells, and the car ride that I ate nothing all weekend but a few crackers yesterday afternoon? Yeah - it was great. Luckily, there were enough folks to wrangle the girls that I napped off and on to pass the time until I could come home to my own bed and my own Super Size bottle of Tums. I did rally for some wading at Garner State Park yesterday - Peach emerged from the water with bruises on her legs and scratches on her buns from sliding down the rock slides, and Olive developed a rash from either the sunscreen we used or something freaky in the water that I'd rather not think about. What with the broken toe, I completely spaced and left their toiletries bag at home, so I was without the hydrocortisone cream, Benadryl, and Motrin that might have come in handy on just such an occasion. All I had was diaper cream, so both my angels went to bed last night covered in Butt Paste. It's good to be home.

2 comments:

Sinda said...

What a miserable vacation - I'm so sorry!! Am glad at least that others were able to wrangle and let you rest.

We wanted to go to Garner this summer, but I think our days area lready tapped out. Our friends went last year and had a ball at the dance, did any of you go to it?

Bookhart said...

W.B. broke my toe once on our trip to the beach from hell. I can sympathize.

I'm sure you're glad to be home.