April 30, 2006

Le Jardin - She Is Finished


After two months of hard work, I have dug my last hole for the spring. What started with the arrival of The Bench ended today with a few bags of mulch and several cold beers. It ain't Better Homes and Gardens, but it's ours, and we literally made it with our own little hands. Somewhere in the melee, I decided we needed to add a bed in the front to hide the utility and cable thingies (which I loathe) - no easy feat, considering just under the sod lay rocks bigger than my head, broken bottles, general trash, and a cement cap the size of a manhole that we still can't identify. Thanks "America's Builder!" The end result, however, was well worth the agony, and so far, everything seems to be making it.

The left side - mountain laurel, variety of lavender, butterfly iris, cherry sage, lantana, and viburnum.

The right side - viburnum, nemesia, indigo spires, butterfly iris, pintas, crape myrtle, and ligustrum.

The whole enchilada - please imagine the fence covered in fig ivy and trailing antique roses on the trellis. Oh, and me, lounging on The Bench with a cocktail and a trashy novel.

5 comments:

Mauro Pereira da Silva said...

Fabulous! Excelent! Bye

Anonymous said...

Wow! Well done- maybe the next career jump could be landscape architect? If so, we need some help.

Is the bench from that place in Southtown in SA?

Bookhart said...

Gosh, that's nice. I think I'm going to go for the trashiest backyard in existence--we're already halfway there!

La Turista said...

MM - I got The Bench in Dallas, but I've been hankerin' to hit Southtown the next time I go home.

Amamgets - I'm working on a post about Peach and the whole school merry-go-round, so stay tuned. It's a looooong story.

verniciousknids said...

What a beautiful bench, and I am envious of your yard...we have to be content with 2 tiny balconies :D