April 19, 2006

How Cool Am I?

Word, y'all. What a wild and wacky weekend we had. Here are the highlights:

Friday - We took Peach and Olive to my parents' house in San Antonio and went to see Bob Dylan at the Municipal Auditorium. Damn good show, but Bob has traded in his guitar for a keyboard as of late, so it was a bit odd to watch him standing stock still, and in profile no less, for the whole show. Merle Haggard opened, and he pretty much kicked major ass, too. The crowd was mixed, from grandpa to grandbaby, from biker to school teacher - and I found out that your dad sitting next to me really LOVES him some Bob Dylan.

Saturday - We took Peach and Olive to see Ice Age 2. A great choice (she says sarcastically) for Olive's second movie in a theatre, especially since they said ass, damn, and crap all within the first five minutes. Nice. Later, we dyed Easter eggs and celebrated my grandmother's 94th birthday.

Sunday - A Happy Easter was had by all. We did the baskets and the egg hunt and then stuffed ourselves at brunch at the Hyatt Hill Country Resort. I wanted to just check in to a room to sleep it off, but we had big plans for the afternoon. My mom took Olive home, and my dad, T-Bone, and I took Peach downtown to see The Lion King at the Majestic Theatre. She had no idea until we pulled up in front of the theatre, and I handed her a ticket. She was so surprised and absolutely loved the show, as did my dad, the most unlikely Broadway musical fan you'll ever find. Please go see it if you ever get the chance.

Monday - On our way back to Austin, we stopped at a children's store in New Braunfels that is full of those cupcake-type dresses that you need for weddings, First Communions, and - sniff - Kindergarten graduations. Yes, I can't believe it myself, but next month, my BABY is graduating from her loving little preschool and moving on to the cold cruel world of elementary school. How in the hell did that happen?! Later that night, T-Bone treated me to an evening of pure magic in the form of my rock 'n roll boyfriend Chris Robinson and his pretty little brother Rich. Oh.My.God. They played an acoustic(!) show at the Texas Union Ballroom to a crowd of about 700(?), and I was completely overwhelmed. We were sitting 3rd row center, right in front of Chris natch, and they played every one of my favorite songs and threw in a few great covers and new stuff as well. It was almost perfect - thanks to several of the Super Fans (i.e. loner pasty-white overweight dorks) around us who insisted on talking the whole time. How do these assholes ALWAYS find me?! When they weren't comparing setlists from those shows they saw in Lafayette and Baton Rouge in '94, they couldn't help themselves from yelling out "Whoo!" and "Oh yeah!" during the quietest portions of the songs. And they were yelling out requests, too. As if. Chris finally had enough of their bullshit and told the crowd that if all they wanted to do was talk the whole time, they needed to get the fuck out. So embarrassing for the so-called Live Music Capital of the World.

Tuesday - Peach went back to school, and we got back in to the normal groove. Sort of. Upon further reflection, I decided that I was too distracted by the Super Fans to fully enjoy the show the night before and that I couldn't stand the thought of Chris being in town one more night and me not seeing him. SO, my darling husband agreed to help me track down tickets (for which I will repay him, in part, with a Catherine Keener film festival), and we hooked up with a sketchy (aren't they all) scalper that afternoon. Come 6:30 when the doors opened at the Cactus Cafe, we were among the first 20 folks inside, and I sat 10 feet from my boyfriend. The place only holds about 150 people, so it was VERY intimate and so much better than the night before. Chris was in a great mood and joked around a lot in between songs. I felt like we were all hanging out at someone's house, without that pesky Kate getting in the way, and with just a few outbursts from some of the Super Fans that managed to sleaze their way in. It was totally worth the price of admission, and I am so glad we made the effort to go. I am a lucky, lucky girl. Until next time, my sweet ...

2 comments:

Karla May said...

Very cute indeed. I'm glad you got to do this. What a good week!!

Unknown said...

I took my three year old to see Ice Age as well and was very dissapointed in the ass and damn jokes. I realize that it is rated PG - but it is a childrens cartoon for heaven's sake. I am all for putting some "adult" humor in that goes over the childs head (like Manny saying he wanted to continue the species) but blantent cursing is over the line in my opinion.