March 29, 2006

What, Me Worry?

Duh. If I ever STOP worrying about anything and everything, there is something wrong with me. I worry about all the usual things (something happening to the girls, the family, me) and a whole host of the less usual things (if this bridge I'm driving on collapsed right now, POGO - Pop the seatbelt, Open the door, Get Out). Now, I'm not like paralyzed with fear or anything - I'm really a happy and very blessed person, but I have made myself believe that if I can think through a bad situation to its ultimate and/or most horrible end, then if I am ever in that situation, I will be prepared or, better yet, I can will it not to happen in the first place. Makes sense to me. Somehow, I have been able to hide this neurosis from everyone except those that know me the very best. People tell me all the time, "Peach and Olive are so calm and well-mannered. That's because you and T-Bone are so calm." Huh? Have you met me?

Right now, I have so many worry irons in the worry fire, it's a wonder my worried brain hasn't exploded from overuse. Added to the usual mix, I also worry about finding a job, about possibly having to find care for Olive due to said job, and about where Peach is going to school next year. I worry about the small window of time that I won't be covered by insurance (unless I find a job) before I can be added to T-Bone's. I worry about our cars and the combined 300,000+ miles they have on them and how one car payment would absolutely break the bank, much less two. And I worry that the gigantic knot in my stomach that sent me to the gastroenterologist 3 years ago is back and reigniting my addiction to Smooth Dissolve Tums. Is any of this life and death? No. Am I way better off than most people? Absolutely. That said, being a grown-up bites sometimes.

No comments: