March 17, 2006

Freebird! Part I

In response to Karla May's Concert Meme challenge, I raise my lighter and my tank top and say, "WOOOOO!"

3 best live shows you ever saw (large venue)

1. U2 - Joshua Tree - Erwin Center - Austin, Texas

Other than "religious experience," mere words cannot describe the impact of this show. Those that were there can attest to the Gospel according to Bono, who looked every inch like the Rock God whose Rolling Stone cover picture I slept under every night until I was 23. I went with 10 guy friends from high school, and the minute we got to our seats, I started crying. The crowd started doing "The Wave," in the DARK, BEFORE the show even started, and by the time Bono hit the stage, I really thought I was going to have a heartattack. Part of my fragile emotional state could have had something to do with the long journey I took to get to the show in the first place. It was back in the early days of VISA bands (remember those?), and I had been lucky enough to get one. However, in something out of a bad sitcom, the day the tickets went on sale, the person right in front of me in line, the asshole I had heard quote useless U2 trivia for three hours while we waited for the ticket window at HEB to open up, THAT guy, bought the last four tickets. When I got to the window, they actually put up the "Sold Out" sign and closed the window in my face. I immediately went to the store bathroom and threw up, which brought that day's total to 4 (once when I woke up at 5am to get in line after staying out til 3 and twice outside the store while listening to the Super Fan). A friend of a friend came up with two tickets a couple of weeks later (I had put out an APB for any available tickets), and although I paid $50 for a balcony seat, it was so so so worth it. At the end, everyone was singing "40" as the lights came up and kept right on singing as we filed out to the parking lot. Sigh.

2. Pearl Jam - Vs. - Southpark Meadows - Austin, Texas

Hands down the best outdoor show I've ever seen. It was an all day affair that I believe kicked off with the Ramones, but I was just focused on getting up close and personal with Stone Gossard. The minute the show started, I quickly realized: (a) I was actually in the mosh pit; and (b) this was probably not the day to wear my prescription sunglasses. The sunglasses were immediately broken as I was pushed and bounced around the perimeter of the pit (I ain't all the way crazy), and I dug every minute of it. My two friends and I locked arms and held on for dear life (one of them lost her shoes along the way), and we sang every word at the top of our lungs. I was bouncing particularly high during "Elderly Woman ...," and I waved and pointed right at Stoney while singing, "But now here you are, and HERE I AM!" I just know he saw me because he smiled real big right at me. Right before he instructed the crew to turn the hose on us. By the end, I left soaking wet, muddy, and bruised - and high on my love for my famous grunge boyfriend.

3. REM - Green - Erwin Center - Austin, Texas

Although I had been a fan since "Murmur," I had never seen the boys from Athens live, and when a friend came up with an extra ticket at the last minute, I headed to the Drum for a kick ass rock show. Michael Stipe was like a man possessed, complete with the eyeliner and white powder, and the whole place went ape shit bananas. I loved it so much that my friend and I hightailed it to BFE/College Station to see them at G. Rollie White Coliseum the next night. Now that's some dedication - dragging my Burnt Orange ass to Aggieland, AND crashing at my ex-boyfriend's crib no less, just to see them tear the roof off the joint again. Talk about the passion ...

This was so fun but so HARD - especially when you love the rock as much as I do. I have to break this down into several parts to keep my head from exploding. So, consider this the drum solo portion of the show. Feel free to go get a beer, and I'll be back after I've toweled off.

1 comment:

Bookhart said...

U2 is all on of these music memes so far--it says something, don't it?