March 22, 2006

Freebird! Part III

The final installment, plus a bonus category ...

3 most disappointing live shows you ever saw

1. REM - Southpark Meadows - Austin, Texas

The usual magic did not translate across the wide open spaces.

2. The Butthole Surfers - Austin Music Hall - Austin, Texas

Too loud. Too stupid (even by BHS standards). I left when Gibby pulled out the friggin' bullhorn.

3. Depeche Mode - Erwin Center - Austin, Texas

It was 1988. I think OMD opened. It was horrible. I was an idiot.

3 bands that you wish you’d seen live

1. The King - I loves me some E. Young, old, skinny, fat, Louisiana Hayride, or Vegas. Doesn't matter. I used to have TCB4EAP printed on my checks like it was my license number.

2. Led Zeppelin - I saw Robert Plant in the early 90s, and the man still had a whole lotta love to give. I can only imagine seeing those golden curls and leather pants back in the day, when hard rock was so new and oh so scary.

3. Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble - Living in Austin lo these many years, I feel like I have seen them live, but, alas, I never did. RIP SRV.

First live show you saw (without parents)

I'm not sure, but being born and raised a stone cold Commodores fan, I believe it was a very adult and very contemporary evening with one Mr. Lionel Richie. I was in 9th grade and ready to party "All Night Long."

Last live show you saw

The Biscuit Brothers at the Austin Children's Museum two weeks ago. Before that, ACL Fest in September where I saw Steve Earle, Robert Earl Keen, the Allman Brothers (7 songs in 1 hour, "Whipping Post" was 14 minutes long), and the reunited-because-they-missed-me-so-much Black Crowes. Damn you, Kate Hudson.

Most surprising live show you ever saw and why

Ray Davies - Empire Theatre - San Antonio, Texas

I like the Kinks, but T-Bone is the real fan, and he won tickets to the show off the radio. The show was just Ray and his guitar, and, ala VH1's "Storytellers," he talked about the process of songwriting and his inspiration behind certain songs. He also read from his autobiography in between songs. I didn't know what to expect, and it was just so cool.

Live show I went to that would probably surprise you

Debbie Gibson - Erwin Center - Austin, Texas

I went on a dare, dressed in a baby doll dress, jean jacket, bobby socks and flats, my spiral perm pulled tight in a scrunchy. My friend and I were the only ones who drove ourselves there, and there was a waiting room downstairs for parents who couldn't stand "that GD racket."

As I reflected on my concert experiences, a special category seemed to be warranted for:

3 live shows where I witnessed public nudity

1. Aerosmith - Hemisfair Arena - San Antonio, Texas

The girl sitting next to me bought a shirt and decided to change into it right there. She wasn't wearing a bra.

2. The Rolling Stones - Texas Motor Speedway(!) - Fort Worth, Texas

The guy four rows in front of us kept pulling down his SWEATPANTS to moon Keith Richards. He finally dropped them to his ankles, spread his buttcheeks, and played percussion on "Sympathy for the Devil."

3. Bob Dylan - Erwin Center - Austin, Texas

The girl sitting smack dab in front of me was wearing assless chaps and a thong. We were sitting in floor seats, so unless I stood up when she did, I had a swaying ass in my face. And she had absolutely no sense of rhythm.

Honorable Mention: Fourth of July Freedom Fest - Zilker Park - Austin, Texas

The woman right in front of us kept flashing her tired old boobies while standing on a cooler. And one of the shirtless skinny guys with her had a jailhouse American flag tattoo on his chest that said, "Burn this, mother fucker."

1 comment:

Karla May said...

I swear I can still see that old hag's swiggin' titties from that Cheap Trick show at Freedom Fest. My eyes! My eyes! She was really old...like 37 or something...and hadn't worn a bra since the early 80s.

Thank God I had a sweet contact high from all the weeeeeeeeeeeed being smoked around us.