March 23, 2009

Shape Of Things To Come

T-Bone and I had a glimpse into our future last week as Peach and Olive spent their Spring Break with Mama Turista in San Antonio. They left last Saturday, with a trunkful of craft supplies, and I had to just about drag them back home with me Friday evening. In between, they enjoyed the aforementioned craft extravaganza, touring the Riverwalk, shopping for Westernwear (really, Olive came home with one of these outfits), and "training" for a Miniature Horse show they're going to participate in this summer. I met the little furballs on Friday, and I have to say, if a Barbie horse ever came to life, Miss GG would be it. She's a light Palomino, with blue eyes, about 30 inches tall, and I briefly pondered which corner of our tiny backyard would best suit her jewel-encrusted stable, just big enough for her and the tiny foal she's carrying in her tiny womb, who will surely be pink and able to fly ...

Wait, where was I? Oh yes, my future. Which doesn't involve horses, winged or otherwise (a girl can hope). No, the point is that T-Bone and I were "on our own" for six days, and as weird as it was to not hear Peach and Olive chattering in the backseat or see them rolling out of bed each morning with the most awesome bedheads in the history of the world, we did pretty well. Much better than I did that first night in New Orleans on our anniversary trip. THAT was pitiful.

We didn't do a whole lot, but it was nice. We rode to work together like a couple of old coots, me saying "Don't forget your lunch, Daddy!" as I dropped him off each morning. We used some coupons and gift certificates we had for restaurants las ninas would have no interest in. We worked in the yard and spent two hours wandering aimlessly around Home Depot. We talked about work and mortgages and my aching back. We laughed about work and retirment accounts and SXSW hipsters. And we went out on a school night for St. Patrick's Day, only to shuffle off to Buffalo after two beers. Between us.

Good gawd, we sound old already. I always thought that when we retired, we'd be the kind to pack up in a badass RV and tour the country, the world - join the Peace Corps even! And we may still do that. But I am happy to confirm that even if we spend our golden years never leaving the Happy Casa for Silver Foxes, we're going to have a good time, all the time.

I highly recommend this Snapshot of Senior Citizenry Staycation. Next time, we're getting matching shirts and Rascals.

No comments: