January 26, 2009

Much Love for The ATX

OK – I know I’ve said this before, many many times before, but I love this town. I love it so much, it hurts. If you’ve ever lived or even visited here, you understand the pure unadulterated joy you feel upon waking up here everyday, confident in the knowledge that this is the Most Kick Ass Place To Be On The PLANET. Yes, it’s weird, but it’s also hip and progressive, yet family-friendly, with lots of cool stuff to do outdoors and in. Great restaurants, parks, museums, and more musicians per capita than anywhere else in the world. We’ve got Big (Tech) Industry, Big Gubment, and Big Academia, but we’ve also got small business and a commitment to protect and support Mom and Pop. We have people of every color, class, faith, and orientation - Freaks and Geeks, the lot of us. I could gush for hours, but I'm on the clock at the moment. Ahem.

My relationship with this town has lasted the better part of 22 years, and though some things have changed, as they unfortunately do, for the most part, it’s the same place I fell in love with lo those many moons ago, and I can’t imagine living, or raising my children, anywhere else. Fellow bloggers over there on the right have agreed with me countless times, but I’ve got to add one more Reason Why I Love This GD Town:

On my way to The Job everyday, I pass a particularly gnarly intersection that has been under construction for, I don’t know, 78 years. The belly of the beast is actually off to the east a bit, but it causes logjams near and far anyway. Today, as I was approaching, I noticed the giant light-up traffic sign said, "The End is Near!!!" I glanced at the construction and thought, "well, that’s great, I guess, but it looks like they still have a helluva way to go, so I’m not sure three exclamation points are necessary." Next, the sign said, "Run for colder climate." Again, I thought, "huh, I guess they’re just running the sign to see if it works because it’s cold today, but 50 degrees isn’t really that cold, it’s been colder recently and the sign worked just fine, but maybe it’s a new one, or …" And then the sign changed again and said, "Caution: Zombies Ahead."

See what I mean?

4 comments:

Badger said...

Ha! I heard about that on the Austinist blog. Hilarious!

And I agree with everything you said.

I'll have been here for 30 years this August, and I ain't leavin'.

Karla May said...

What intersection?

Anonymous said...

zombies are NOTHING to laugh at. for realz.

Bookhart said...

Awesome.

Word vertification: "andly." Which kind of sounds like a real, though, antiquated word. Like a synonym for "whenceforth."