June 24, 2008

So, The Trip Report

On the heels of the coldest winter in 40 years, it was pleasant and beautiful last week in our little Colorado burg - cold, even. A couple of days, it didn't even get above 50 degrees, a full 50 degrees cooler than it was (and still is) here at home. What is up with THAT? Anywho, the weather was great, and we found plenty of snow for sledding and snowballs. Our raft trip, however, was cancelled due to freaky high winds, but we did hit the stables a couple of times. Olive met up for Round Two with Spirit, who has gotten so fat, he is now being trained to pull a cart so he can shed a few lbs.. He's still a sugah, though. And Olive has informed us she has "finally decided" that when she grows up, she is going to be a wrangler there. Glad we got that settled.

No trip to CB is complete without a visit to the grooviest pizza joint on the planet. Seriously, look:


Why yes, you do sit on the floor. And the pie is delish. Namaste, y'all.

Also, T-Bone and I got to see the new Indy movie (loved it!), and we took the wee ones to see Kung Fu Panda (skedoosh!). Somebody beat me to my million dollar idea of bringing back the town theatre as an Alamo-type venue, but they've gone heavier into the booze area and not so much with the food yet. Not that I'm complaining. Now I'll just have to redirect my efforts to live there part-time into my other money making scheme - opening a kickass raspa stand there in the summer. How awesome would THAT be?!

On the way out west, we spent the night in Carlsbad, and indeed, we went to the Caverns. The bat show the night before was (according to Olive), "utterly boring," so I'd skip that if I were you. Especially if you've ever seen our bats - so much better. The Caverns themselves, though, were just as cool as I remember from when I was 10, and my little rockhounds couldn't get enough. They walked over two miles and were way too busy to complain. And how often do you get to say that you went potty 750 feet underground?

We also spent one night in Taos and went to the Pueblos, which I had never done before. It was so very interesting, and the colors were beautiful, natch:


And guess who we saw in Santa Fe on the way back? After 1o hours in the car, we needed a reward, so we stopped at Pasqual's for a late lunch, and Little Miss Samantha was there, filming her show. She's pretty cute in person, and Mama Turista totally accosted her, asking her if she "ever eats anything! So tiny!" Peach was enthralled with the whole process, and since the joint is so small, I'm sure she's in a shot or two. If we didn't collectively look like crap on a stick at the time (and if I had remembered to bring my camera in), I would have gotten some pictures, but no. Just imagine a sweaty Amazon (me) standing next to Tinkerbell (Sammy), and you get the idea.

Now we're back home, but I'm off again tomorrow. Peach and Olive are in "information" bible school this week, so T-Bone is in charge, and I've got to go to the State Bar BoreFest in Houston. Yes, I'll allegedly be entertained and educated by the likes of her and him, but thankfully, my best friend from law school will be there, no doubt with a flask in tow. God bless her. Mama Turista's bringing las ninas down on Saturday for a few days, but I'll be back in time to douse my crunchy grass and tinderbox plants before the fireworks go off, so until then, peace!

No comments: