May 14, 2007

Better Late Than Never

So sorry, dear friend(s), that I wasn't around yesterday to wish you a Happy Mother's Day. I was on the road back from Houston, where we attended one bruthacuzzin's First Communion and one bruthacuzzin's French Horn concert. Peach loves those boys something awful, and whenever we go visit, I feel like I don't even see her until it's time to leave. They play so well together and even invited Olive to join in the fray some of the time. I went up to the playroom at one point, suspicious of the silence, and they were all gathered around the table, teaching Olive to play Monopoly - The Lord of The Rings version. She was chattering on about which horse she wanted to buy, natch, and it was all just so very grown up and civilized, I thought I might cry. Or laugh. I left them alone and joined the "real" grown ups for yet another round of the weekend's hottest game - "Let's Make Fun of (My Cousin) and What a Huge Baby He's Being About the Vasectomy He Had on Friday - Just Get Over It Already." Maybe you had to be there. Drinking.

When we got home, there were several cards and handmade presents waiting for me, including the most elaborate and beautiful book from Peach. She really went all out in making it, my favorite quote being:

Moms can rock without guitars.
They can rock with love.

Rock on, y'all.

1 comment:

Bookhart said...

Lovely poem from Peach.

This really happens, though. At a certain point you take your children to a party and then don't see them for 2 hours. And it's all good.