February 29, 2012

This Is Dedicated To The One I Love

Six years and 399 posts later, I think it's time to give T-Bone some love. I mean, I've told you before, many times in fact, about what a great partner and father he is, plus The Great Story of how we met. He's a keeper, that one. And I really do know how lucky I am.

But it still hit me like a ton of bricks at a blood cancer conference we went to this weekend. We listened to a panel of "cancer moms" tell their war stories, and several of them had the same doctor. They all nodded when one mom shared a moment from the beginning of their journey when that doctor took her husband and her aside and said, "I can cure your child's cancer. But I can't guarantee that you two will be together when it's over." Damn.

T-Bone and I talked about that at the start of everything - how we really needed to check in with each other every day and take a moment here and there to just BE together - but no one ever put it to us so bluntly, or really any way at all. We could immediately see how difficult this was going to be, even with a solid foundation, and I told him early on that "This is our trial." As a couple, as parents, as people. And it has certainly been that.

And we've kicked ass.

Two months from today, Peach will take her last dose of chemotherapy and go off treatment. Five months from today, I will shave my fool head in celebration of her victory and in support of St. Baldrick's and childhood cancer research. And 50 years from today, T-Bone will still be greeting me every day with "There she is." and his precious smile.

Truly, madly, deeply.

2 comments:

Trevor said...

La la la la la la la la la means
I love you!

Anonymous said...

wah wah wah you made me choke up! xoxo to you both!