May 1, 2008

MayDay! MayDay!

I'm going down fast, y'all! Help me! The past week, I have been in o-vah-drive, preparing and scurrying about for Abuelita Turista's 90th birthday shindig last weekend, and Peach's First Communion shindig this weekend. Like, my whole family will be here in less than 24 hours. And I've still got cleaning and gardening and teeth gnashing to do. Ay. Dios. Mio.

The big soiree last Saturday was so fun - I haven't seen that many bluehairs in one place since I broke up with Luby's. Abuelita Turista was absolutely the belle of the ball, posing with one foot kicked up every time someone complimented her on her all-white outfit. We took a bunch of family pictures, and the dress code was white, khaki, or a combination of both, so it was easy for the guests to spot us, even though it took a while for some of them to place us ("Are yew tha doctah or tha lawyah?" Well, neither at the moment ...). All of the kids had a ball running through my uncle's garden in their good clothes, and the city secretary stopped by to read a proclamation from the mayor of Small Texas Town, USA, officially declaring Saturday to be Abuelita Turista Day. We ate ourselves silly, and, some of us, sick. Poor Peach must have had one pecan tassy too many because we got to revisit the day's fare at about 1 am Sunday morning. All over her, all over the bed, but not, praise Jeebus, on my cousin's off-white carpet.

This week has been a flurry of final preparation for Peach's First Communion - classes, rehearsals, emails, ice cream cakes, etc.. It's been two years in the making, and what with the party afterward and the veil and all, I really do feel like I've just planned her wedding. Which is what Olive keeps calling it, her "kid wedding." Peach is beyond excited, and it seems her star pupil status holds true in her religious as well as secular education. Her teacher loves her and says she can always count on her to know the answer to everything, including explaining very earnestly to the class that the tabernacle is much like a "holy refrigerator." I'm so happy for her.

Now, some tidbits. My broham has been in Rwanda(?!) on computer business, and he missed Opie's 1st birthday last Thursday. Boo. That little monkey is so adorable, and funny as hell, but he still prefers his mama to his tia. I'm working on it ...

When we were on the road to Abuelita Turista's last Friday, we stopped at Target in Katy so I could pee and get T-Bone some contact solution. And who should I literally run into upon exiting the bathroom? Kady from American Idol! Yeah, I couldn't think of her name either, but I recognized her as the blonde that did the Britney impression all the time. Anywho, small world, right?

Oh, and also? Damnit!!!

2 comments:

LawMommy said...

Yes, DAMNIT she was back. And she was wearing friggin 4 inch louie heels. I don't know ANY surgeons who wear anything but those really really comfy flat surgeons' shoes to the hospital, but, evidently, if you are Addison, you wear four inch heels if you are going to shove a baby's heart back in it's chest.

It's possible I've spent too much time thinking about this.

Also, I've spent too much thinking about the fact that doctors are expected to wear super comfy shoes to work and lawyers are expected to walk their sorry selves to the courthouse in high heels that pinch their toes...(okay, I know I don't save people's lives, but, it is really necessary that I abuse my feet in this sadistic way??)

G

Karla May said...

I didn't realize that your nephew's b-day is the same day as Lisa's little Himowee.

BTW, the Geej has been asking me, like every day, when we're going to go over to "Kurtnee's house" (note the unecessary "ir" sound).

Would love to see you soon.