November 6, 2007

Hey, Little Girl. Want Some Candy?

I've got bags full. Three gallon size Ziploc bags full. What with the haul Peach and Olive came home with on Halloween, and the half full giant bag of DumDums I bought for trick-or-treaters, we're pretty flush in the sugar department over here. And as much as they covet dessert and all things sweet, Peach and Olive really enjoy the idea of it all more than the real deal. We still had candy from last Halloween at Easter, we never get all the way through a batch of homemade cookies before they have to be tossed, and the birthday cake they nearly lost their minds planning and preparing for T-Bone sits half-eaten in the icebox. And it's not even like they forget about it. It's more like, "Oh yeah, there's the cake. So can I pleeeeeze have a chocolate kiss?" Really - that's all it takes. One, and they act like they've just won the food lottery. But their mama, on the other hand, is all about that birthday cake drying out in the icebox and figuring out how soon I can finish it off. This, ladies and gentleman, is how I keep my girlish figure, and by "girlish" I mean "how far along is she?"

And even though last week I was cursing the retail industry for shoving Thanksgiving aside and plowing on through to Christmas, the cooler weather has started giving me The Fevah, and I've already planned out when I'm going to start decorating. If all goes well, and barring any Nutcracker crises, I should be done by December 2nd. I'm weak, I know, but something about Peach and Olive asking to hear "that CheeChiChong Christmas thing" on the way to school today put me over the edge. I mean, how can I resist Olive, in her best Cheech voice, saying, "Yeah - Santa's old lady was reeely fine. And she made the BEST brownies."* Come on, Beto!

* Clearly, she is completely unaware of what that actually implies, so calm down. But again, it's the dessert thing.

No comments: