September 4, 2007

An Intervention

I am not, nor have I ever claimed to be, any kind of fashion plate. I put my sweatpants on one ragged leg at a time, just like everybody else. However, I have noticed an emerging trend that I feel it is my duty to expose, dismantle, and send packing to the nether regions of Fashion Hades. In a word: Scrubs.

Now, I actually like the idea of wearing scrubs to work, what with their comfortable, sloppy fit and low maintenance care requirements. They take the stress out of deciding what to wear to work, and I'm envious of people like my cousin the dentist, who has a different set for every day of the week. And lots of backups for the blood and whatnot. But alas, I went to law school instead of medical school because I hate math, and thus, I haven't had, nor will I ever have, a job that allows me to wear scrubs to work.

Which brings me to you poor victims of your own laziness. In case you didn't get the memo, scrubs are NOT your go-to everyday wear UNLESS you are actually working in the medical or dental fields. Perhaps a shampoo professional in a hair salon. Hell, I'll even give you a day care worker, but that's really stretching it. If you do not belong in one of these categories, put down the chili pepper scrubs and WALK AWAY. I know they're comfy. I know they're cheap. And God knows they hide every figure flaw we big girls have to offer. But please. You know you're not a doctor. We know you're not a doctor. So you're not fooling anybody when you show up at HEB on a Sunday morning (yeah, I saw you and all your nasty fishsticks) in your dirtiest scuffs and something like this:

And I don't care that it has a matching scrunchy. Or that it also comes in this:

And I may be speaking out of my area of law here, but I'm pretty sure you'd have grounds for a malpractice suit if your doc showed up for surgery in this:

I'm just saying, enough is enough. I've seen more than a few of you out there lately, and it's starting to make me nervous. And very very sad for you. Just know that there are alternatives - perhaps something from this collection?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This phenomenon of which you speak has not yet hit the D.C. area. Thankfully.

I have a pair of scrubs with my alma mater's logo--I wear them as PJs. Because, you know, I'm not a doctor.

LawMommy said...

Thank you! I am so tired of this!

I do envy those people who actually are, like, doctors and nurses, who CAN wear scrubs to work. And what I notice, among my doctor and nurse type friends, is that THEY don't wear scrubs just anywhere, out and about - except to work. And bed. (Not that I'm going to bed with doctors and nurses, mind you. I'm just noticing that certain family members of mine DO wear scrubs to bed.)

Nap Queen said...

Okay, so I read this post yesterday, and I had to admit I hadn't really seen this happen. UNTIL THIS MORNING. There it was on Lavaca and 6-7th Streets. A woman, who was clearly walking to a non-medical job (she had on normal pants) wearing a cutesy scrubs top and a pink surgical cap thingy. WTF?

Anonymous said...

Oh so funny. I was just eyeing these enviously on a rack in a store, thinking to myself, " If I wear them out in public, who is to know I'm not a doc on my lunch break???" Thanks for making me think twice!