September 19, 2007

I Love Boys

I do, I really do. But I happen to have two girls, and I'm crazy about them, and I'm getting a little tired of being asked if we're ever going to "try for a boy." As if the two precious angels I have are some sort of consolation prizes. Really. I've heard it a lot since Olive was born, even within hours of her birth. And lately, every time we've been out with my darling 4 month old nephew, and I'm totally loving him up with Peach and Olive at my side, people (always men) assume he's mine and feel compelled to say (always to T-Bone), "So you kept trying 'til you finally got a boy!" Just what am I supposed to say to that? "Yes, yes we did! Thank GOD! And with any luck, he won't grow up to be a misogynistic asshole like you." Does that sound about right?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get the same question, just about the opposite sex. "So, are you going to try for a girl?" Ugh! No! First off, I love my boys and don't feel that our family is in any way incomplete. Second, my last pregnancy was so bleepin' miserable that if we decide we want a girl (as opposed to wanting a baby), I ain't "trying" for her. We will adopt a girl. My body can't take another pregnancy anyway.

I'm going to start answering these yahoos with, "No, we're just going to dress up the youngest in miniskirts, heels and mascara."

Badger said...

Well I have one of each, but if I didn't and someone had the nerve to say that to me IN FRONT OF MY CHILDREN, I would have to cut them a new peehole.

Karla May said...

Hellllllllllo?! Totally different situation, but I have always ALWAYS felt that asking about "When are you gonna have another one?" after you've already had one perfect angel is just as fucked up and rude. But somehow, being "stuck" with only one (God forbid in the population-challenged planet of ours) is a far worse offense than being blessed with two of the same sex.

Just food for thought.

La Turista said...

MK: Word, dude. My view on family planning/baby making/completely private and personal affairs is don't ask, and PLEASE don't tell. I really don't want or need to know ALL your business, thanks, and I sure as hell won't be telling you mine. Way TMI. If you have to say anything, just tell me how awesome my kids are, I'll tell you the same, and we'll both be on our way.

Anonymous said...

The one person who I felt had an absolute right to ask me about my future reproduction plans was my gynecologist. I may choose to discuss it with near and dear and have certainly discussed it with my spouse but I do not want to tell the lady in back of me at the dry cleaners my reproductive plans or non-plans. And it is incredibly rude. And engaged in way too much by the middle-class masses.

As is leaving an outgoing message on their answering machines that says, "... and I will get back to you at my earliest convenience." Same people.