November 11, 2008

So It Wasn't All Just A Dream

It really happened! A week later, and I’m still so excited about the New Guy. Every time I see a picture of him doing something President-Elect-ish, I smile. Maybe I even wink and give him a thumbs up. I just love the whole idea of purging and re-organizing and preparing to finally Move On. I am so ready, I can’t even tell you.

To add to the euphoria currently enveloping my house, I had the best conversation with Abuelita Turista the other night. She called me to say, "Girl – we did it!" and then to say, "Can you believe That Sarah and all those clothes? She didn’t even look that nice!" She told me she went to Mass to pray for Our New President because "he’s inheriting one helluva mess, idn’t he?" and because she’s worried about the "kooks and the crazies out there" that might try to hurt him. She says she can’t believe that at 90 years old, she was able to help put an African-American, and "an outstanding man," in the White House – something her father would have loved to have seen. Overall, she’s very positive about the outcome, but she can’t exactly share her enthusiasm with the rest of the family down there as they, for whatever reason, went with The Other Guy. And will give her no end of grief if she brings it up. Family. What are you gonna do?

We closed the conversation with our identical thoughts on the New First Daughters – and how much they remind us of Peach and Olive. Nearly the same age, and seemingly the same dispositions. The graceful older sister and the spunky younger sister, both appreciating and enjoying every minute of all this hoop-di-do. When that sweet family walked out together to claim victory on Election Night, THAT is when I lost it. We know that family. We are that family. And I am thrilled for all of us.

C’mon everybody. Group hug.

3 comments:

LawMommy said...

I really feel hopeful for America for the first time in 8 years. It's nice to feel that way.

Karla May said...

Wait, you're married to Obama?

I'm so confused.

toxomaman said...

Hug back at ya!:)