October 3, 2008

The News (minus Huey)

Work is going OK, I guess. I’ve been able to adjust my schedule a bit (not one minute less than 40 hours, mind you), so a few days a week, I’ve been coming in at 7:30 and leaving at 4. The traffic still BITES even at that time of day, but at least it’s not nearly 7 when I get home. And this blog post? Written on a break from pushing paper for The Man. So, thank you, taxpayers. Enjoy.

Last weekend, I cut 7 inches off my hair. Nothing fancy - still all one length, pretty much. I am not a "hair" person, so I am very limited in what I can "do" with my hair. The one time I had anything but one length to deal with, well, y’all remember how that turned out. Gawd. I did rock the spiral perm, a la Edie Brickell, back when that reference was actually current, and I have half-considered going back to that many times, what with its true wash-n-wear-ability. Lucky for me, the gal who cuts my hair doesn’t do perms and thereby saved me from myself once again.

Peach is rawking out already on her guitar. She can play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and is working on some Beatles tunes from T-Bone’s "Even YOU can play The Beatles" music book. She is also terribly excited to be in the Waltz of the Flowers number in her dance studio’s holiday show. She and seven other munchkins are the backup dancers, if you will, for one of the big girls on toe, so she’s been flitting and flying all over the house as of late. Well, more than usual anyway.

Olive surprised me yesterday with a lovely song she learned at school. In Italian. Know what’s even cuter than an earnest 5 year old singing? An earnest 5 year old singing in Italian. And twice this week she’s come home in her extra clothes because she’s on dishwashing detail, and she takes it so seriously, it’s actually a full-body experience. Today, she and Peach are staying for an hour in the afterschool program, and I fully expect they won’t want to leave when T-Bone goes to pick them up.

Speaking of wonderful, exciting, and TOP SECRET news (weren’t we?), we have planned a most awesome surprise vacation for those two sugarplums, and I want to tell them so bad, it’s killing me. Details to follow ...

No comments: