August 24, 2008

Shout Out to Mrs. Del Toro

She was my 3rd grade teacher, and she rawked. She was beautiful and smart and funny, and she took no crap from the "bad kids," even though at 9 years old, many of them were already taller than her. That was the first year we got homework, and I remember feeling so responsible and grown up. That was also the year I got glasses (she called me up to her desk one day and say, "Mija, you keep squinting at the blackboard. You need to get those big ojos chocolates checked."), and I just had to have some "gold" aviator frames just like hers. And if I could have gotten away with it, I would have asked my mom for a matching macrame dress and wedgies, too. She was The Shit. So - much love, Mrs. DT, wherever you are.

My Peachy Pie starts her 3rd year at GGMS tomorrow, and she couldn't be more excited. I swear she would have gone back a month ago if they'd have let her. She spent Friday afternoon with her BBFF from school, and they pretty much talked non-stop about school. And not just the fun stuff, but school school, and how they can't wait to get to work. She got a precious letter from her teacher, talking about how she and the other 3rd years are going to be leaders this year with lots of opportunities to help others. Peach really takes that role to heart, and she can't wait to get in there and mix it up with the new kids.

T-Bone and I both love GGMS and have been beyond pleased with Peach's success. Now we're very excited for Olive to finally drink the Montessori Kool-Aid there, too. She had two pre-visits last week, and she starts on Wednesday, feeling very big to be going to school with her "sis." Both my little brainiacs, flying the coop together. Sigh.

I know I have to give you the work update, but all this GD crutching around has me punchy and braindead enough, so I'd rather NOT think about that unfortunate inevitability. These stitches are supposed to come out in the next couple of days, and T-Bone assures me he can do it for me. I know he's a doctor and all, but let's just say I'm not totally comfortable with the idea. I mean, I've played Operation with the guy and beat his ass pretty soundly. Stay tuned ...

No comments: